Friday, October 30, 2009

Preparing to transition

Perhaps my body is preparing to return home. Today is the first time in three weeks that I'm hungry and want something to eat. It's noontime, and approximately 5 hours since breakfast. Actually, this is early to even think about lunch. Usually we don't have lunch until close to 3:00 in the afternoon, almost 8 hours later than breakfast. In these three weeks, I've never felt hungry, tired, or wilting from low blood sugar between breakfast and lunch, 8 hours later. But today is different.

This is a good reminder that there are so many, not just here at UCBC, not just in Congo or Africa, but around the world, even in our wealthy nation of the U.S., that many people do go hungry. That students go to school without breakfast, manage through the day without lunch, are lucky to have anything at all before bed.

This is not new information. Let it be a reminder when I am back home and comfortable, when I live in excess, even though I try to live in enough and sufficient, that I am my sister's and my brother's keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment