Friday, October 16, 2009

A few snapshots and ruminations - Friday, October 16, 2009

A few snapshots and ruminations from the past few days, not in any particular order.

This is a place of lush vegetation, nourished by sun and drenching rain. The three rainstorms I've witnessed to date have been fabulous downpours out of broad, dark clouds. The gardens are boisterous and wild. Maize (which looks like corn to me) seems to shoot up in the middle of tall grasses. Spreads of cassava plants appear in the middle of the bush. Walking the UCBC property yesterday, I spied a half-dollar size, white and violet blossom that looked like an orchid. Workmen on the property seem to be in a marathon to keep back the grasses that grow tall and fast. I've read that plants and grasses grow as much as 2" in a day in Congo's jungle.

On Sunday, seven of us walked through the bush from UCBC back to the Kasali residence--a 4-mile trek. Grant, one of the American volunteers, was our guide. He said of the four or five times he has made the walk, it has never looked the same because of the rapid growth in vegetation. He also said he has not, nor is he willing to do the walk in reverse by himself yet because the landscape varies so quickly.

So a little bit about that walk: We followed a red ribbon of a footpath, weaving in and out of this green expanse. Sometimes I could only see the few feet in front of me, the grasses were so tall and path winding. At other times, we'd come out into a small clearing dotted with trees of various types. Our path joined and split from other footpaths along the way. Isn't wasn't too long and I knew there was no way I could retrace the way alone! Occasionally we would come upon spreads of cassava--4'-high plants with mahogany-red-to-green leaves that spread like an open hand. We came across clusters of dwellings here and there--neighborhoods of sorts. I later discovered that at those places, we were nearer the road.

We crossed streams and rivulets along the way. And as the afternoon was rolling in, I admit I began to get anxious to arrive at home in time--before dark dropped in on us and the mosquitoes came out. We did. Sadly, in my growing anxiety, I lost sight of the beauty around us. I hope to make the trek back yet before my time is over. Will definitely do it with someone who knows the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment