Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Early experiences at UCBC, Sunday and Monday, Oct. 11 and 12

My first visit to the UCBC campus occurred Sunday. The students have a worship service on Sunday afternoons which is open to the community. We were a small gathering, because this was the first Sunday afternoon service of the new school year. Joel, a vivacious student, led the worship. I later discovered that he leads worship for all (most?) of the chapel services at UCBC. The choir, comprised of about eight students, a keyboardist, drummer, and two guitarists, led us in three songs--two that I recognized from my Vineyard experiences (Above All, and I've forgotten the other), and a Swahili song. The sound was rich with overtones and joy. I closed my eyes several times to swallow the music whole.

The service was only an hour--uncharacteristically short for an African worship service, I understand. Daniel, one of the UCBC, staff members, delivered a sermon. We concluded with another song. Everyone seemed eager to greet each other. There were warm handshakes, women greeting with the customary double-cheek kiss. Many introductions, and names that spilled out of my arms as soon as they were offered, I'm sorry to say.

UCBC sits on a knoll, back maybe 200 yards from the road. Currently there is an academic building, a welcome center under construction, and a large community center under construction (See pictures at www.congoinitiative.org). Most of the school's activity occurs in the academic building right now--classes, the Sunday worship service, offices. There will be two rooms completed in the community center for additional classrooms in time for the opening of school.

On Monday I spent the entire day here. This is the second week of English classes for the students. The day began, for me, with an hour or so with David Kasali, the Rector of UCBC. He gave me my first formal tutorial which included a survey of Congo's history (from Leopold through to the 2006 elections), an overview of his life and the history of UCBC and CI. While I have been reading and in conversations to learn some of this over the past months, it was helpful to hear David's narrative--to have his voice in my memory.

We went to chapel at 10:00. The meeting room was packed with students and staff. Joel and the choir (now perhaps 20 singers), led us in songs. Again, I drank in the sounds of joy. It is always hard for me not to look at other people during worship (always has been, I admit). This chapel was no different. I noticed that students were well-dressed. The young men in long pants and dress shirts, many of them with polished leather shoes that look clean in spite of the omniscient red clay dust (including the unfinished floor here int he academic building). Most of the young women wear long dresses, customary of the region, bright colors, bold prints, impeccable tailoring. Many wear high heels, others nice sandals. But what fascinated me more were the faces of joyous worship, intent. They were focused only on worship, while I, the interloper, gave into temptation. I had to close my eyes to remember the reason for this gathering.

No comments:

Post a Comment