Friday, October 16, 2009

Prayers of the People

My experience and definition of Prayers of the People is expanding. We Episcopalians share in the Prayers of the People each time we gather for Eucharist. Some people (often those outside the Episcopal, Anglican, or Roman traditions) criticize this. "You're just saying the same things each week" (which isn't true, as there are 6 forms from which to choose!). Or, "If you're saying the same thing then it loses it's meaning." I relish that point in the service when a lay person leads the congregation in collective, corporate prayer. I try to participate with deep intention. Sometimes I'm more successful than others. The Prayers of the People guide me to pray widely--not just for my concerns and my needs--but for the needs and concerns of others. And I need help, regular prodding and reminders to look beyond myself and my concerns.

I've experienced prayer here at UCBC in a way that is new for me and is expanding my personal definition of Prayers of the People.

Corporate prayer as I'm used to it in the U.S. is where one person prays out loud, and the rest of us listen silently, paying attention to the words, taking them to heart, perhaps pinning our own prayers to the leader's. In chapel at UCBC, some prayer is this way, "led" by individuals. But there is also prayer when everyone begins to speak out loud, praying confidently and loudly--not shouting, but as in conversation. At first I assumed these prayers were a mixture of praises and petitions, rejoicing and lamenting, requests and thanksgivings. Individuals speaking their words to God in public.

Then Kaswera set me straight (for which I'm grateful). "This is an African way of praying," she explained. People are praying either on the topic that has just been talked about, or that the leader has just prayed about. As everyone prays out loud on that topic, it's a way of applying that to their own lives and experiences. As I understand it, making the lesson personal, talking to God about that topic. At other times the prayers might be for a specific individual. Instead of just one person praying in front of the group, everyone is a participant, praying for that individual.

What power in those combined voices.

Perhaps we westerners, we reserved, white, suburban American Christians (especially we Episcopalians!) could learn from this practice of prayer. Might we better ingest and learn to live what we have heard from the sermon or the scripture reading? Might our prayers for each other be more powerful if we were to lift our voices together?

Or, what if we Episcopalians began simply by naming out loud the specifics at each pause during the Prayers of the People? What if, when we came to, "For this community, the nation, and world" (Form VI), we each named out loud, simultaneously, those specifics that God has placed on our hearts:
- People in this town who are out of work
- Heal the division between the national parties so that our politicians would work together for the common good
- Bring peace to Afghanistan and Iraq, Palestine and Israel
- Bring healing and health to Congo

Yes, that part of the service would last much longer. But would it be worth it? What might we see as a result? What power of the spirit might we unleash?

No comments:

Post a Comment