Sunday, August 29, 2010

Choosing joy and gratitude

Bee balm: a funky, raggedy, and joyous!
I like to think that I'm a "glass is half full" kind of person. The truth is that while the glass may be half full, it does have a chip on the rim or there is some bit of floating lint or insect piece. Yes, half full, but...

Wouldn't be bad if I were to keep my observations to myself or let them bounce and slide, ice-cube-like, off the edge and onto the floor. But no. I'm in the bad habit of wearing mild disappointments confidently--not loudly or brazenly, but with quiet assurance. Ask me "How are you?" and you're likely to get, "OK" or "Not bad."

Geesshhh! I don't want to be around me sometimes! ...



I've decided to choose joy. Sure, there is always something not quite "right"--not enough sleep, not enough money, too much to do, a sore muscle, weeds, rain, too hot, too cold. But that's something about the human condition, something about living in this world that groans, longing to be redeemed, to be made whole. Until that time of restoration, redemption, and wholeness, it is my responsibility to be some bit of light and joy. Please forgive me for doing a lousy job lately.

I hereby declare that I choose joy.

And I choose gratitude. It's been said that "gratitude is an attitude" and "gratitude is a muscle that needs to be exercised." Al-Anon and friends in recovery have helped me learn, understand, and practice gratitude. It was in Al-Anon that I learned that gratitude is a choice--a choice to embrace all of the cuts and bruises in life. A choice to see the beauty and the blessings. A choice to accept that God, in Her or His infinite wisdom, knows better than I do and has a plan more perfect than I could ever craft. But I haven't been doing the homework lately.

So I also choose gratitude.

And, by the way, I'm grateful to the many people in my life whose presence is a beautiful reminder of joy and gratitude.

So, if you ask me "How are you?" and my answer is something short of "Wonderful!" please remind me that gratitude is an attitude, and that I've chosen joy!


If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is thank you, it will be enough.
Meister Eckhart

1 comment: